East Nottingham; New London; Mount Olivet: Christian Church and Society, of New London and East Nottingham, 1848-55.
Journal. Manuscript, lined journal. Small quarto. Approximately 9.75" x 7.25". Contents consist of 112 pages (Records from 1848-1854),  page record of an 1884 meeting,  pages blank,  page 1888 Church account,  page arithmetic and balance numbers,  pages blank,  pages "Record of Names",  pages records from 1896 and 1903,  page blank, . Brownish marbled paper covered boards. Leather corners and spine. Boards are lightly shelf worn with small ink stain front cover. Leather is worn on the corners and chipped head and base of the spine. Interior contents are clean. Handwriting is mostly legible with a few pages of faint writing. No written names on the end papers. Book seller label located in the upper left corner of the front paste down - "Daniel & Smith's Cheap Book Store cor. Fourth & Arch sts. Philadelphia." All contents are written in hand. The title is located on the first page. A description of the journal and history of the Church is described below. Good. Item #24766
The first meeting of the Christian Church and Society took place in East Nottingham, Chester County, on January 15th, 1848. The first entry reads: "A meeting of Christian Brethren and Friends, favourable to the organization of a Christian Church, according to the New Testament, of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; the erection of a Chapel for use of said Society; and the support of meetings was held this morning at 10 O' clock at the Stone Grave Yard School house. The following named persons were present: C. W. Kimball, James Scotts, J. F. Heilenman, Nathan Tyson, J. H. Steele, J. B. Pitt, R. Wilkinson, William Vinsinger?, Jesse Mc Fadien, R Mc Leary, James Lynch, E. T. Richardson, W Stern, J Leonard, and Charles H. Plummer.
The first five meetings were held in East Nottingham and were recorded by Secretary, Elder and Pastor Charles H. Plummer. The meetings outlined the organization of the Church, the location and construction of the Chapel, funds raised, the order of service, etc. The meetings moved to Franklin School, New London, Chester County on February 27, 1848. A hand copied entry (after the March 16th recorded meeting) announces the begininning of new construction. "From The Christian Herald - The Corner Stone of the First Free Christian Chapel, of Chester County, Pennsylvania, was laid in the ground donated to the Christian Society, by Messrs. David W, Joseph, and John Montgomery, situated in New London Township about 1 1/4 miles S. W. from Kimbleville, on Saturday afternoon, March 18th 1848, in the presence of a large congregation of people...".
An exercise and ceremony were held for the laying of the cornerstone. At this ceremony several described items inside this journal were placed inside a "box". Later that year the dedication of "The First Free Christian Chapel" was also recorded by the Christian Herald on August 20th. The Chapel was situated on Mount Olivet in New London Township about 47 miles southwest of Philadelphia. The meeting notes from this point forward were recorded from Mount Olivet, New London up to May, 1855. Different members recorded the Church's business during it's beginnings. Some of the entries are lengthy and include religious resolutions and narratives. The clerks included John Benge, Charles Plummer, J.H. Steele, and John Robertson. The last entry during the early years was dated May 5th, 1855.
The "Record of Names" towards the back of the journal lists 64 members with columns made for "When Rec'd"; "How"; "When Bap'd"; "By Whom"; "When Married"; "By Whom"; "Dismissed"; "Disowned"; "Deceased"; and "Remarks." There were no recorded entries between 1855 and July 1884. The next recorded meeting of the Church took place July 20th 1884. The minutes were short. On the same page is an accounting of 'rents' received. One page of accounting for rents is dated 1888. The few remaining manuscript pages contain account records from 1896 and 1903.
The Church was led in service by the Pastor Elder Charles Henry Plummer in the early years. From files dot usgwarchives dot net:
About 1845 to 1850, Elder Frederick Plummer, a minister of the denomination
calling themselves "Christians" came into this county and preached in a grove
near Kimbleville. He continued to hold services and made converts to his
faith, who erected a brick church edifice about 2 miles SW of
Kimbleville, in Franklin twp, which they called Mt Olivet, and where a church
of that persuasion was organized. Elder Charles H Plummer, a nephew of
Frederick Plummer, was pastor for a few years and was succeeded by Elder Wm H
Pittman. A Mr Parvin also preached there for a time. About 1878 and
1879, Rev David Somers, of the church of the Disciples, in Penn twp preached
there and superintended a Sunday-school. The church is now unoccupied for
religious purposes (1881). The membership is not numerous.
Village Record; August 15, 1848
The First Free Christian Chapel, of Chester County, Pa., situate on Mt. Olivet,
in New London township [Franklin was later formed formed out of New London],
about 1 ¼ miles southwest of Kimbleville, near Mackey’s mills, will be
dedicated to the worship of God on Sabbath day, August 20th, 1848, at 10
o’clock, A.M. Rev. Charles Henry Plummer, will preach on the occasion. Other
ministers will participate.
Village Record; June 14, 1853
Rev. Charles Henry Plummer, of Mount Olivet, Chester county, has received and
accepted a call from Central Union Church of Taunton, Mass. To become their
pastor and to which place he has removed.
From the web site named img1 (dot) wsimg (dot) com is this short piece of information: "Ruins of the Mt. Olivet Church and cemetery (Free Christians, also known as Plummerites) are visible today along Walker Road. The Mt. Olivet congregation dates to the late 1840s, and the church was dedicated in 1848. The church later served other congregations and as a school."
From Chester.pa-roots (dot) com: Mt. Olivet Christian Church aka Plummerite (aka Free Will Baptist?),
corner of Walker and Mt. Olivet Roads, Franklin Township (near Kemblesville),
Chester County, PA. On private property. Ruins of brick church. The following
stones remain as of 6/27/04:
Sarah, wife of William HARLAN, died July 8, 1865, in the 73rd year of her age
Joel HARLAN, born December 22, 1821, died January 15, 1893, Gone but not
Elnora, wife of Joel HARLAN, born 9th month 20, 1829, died 1st month 19, 1910
(Note Quaker dating on this one!!)
Mary Ann, wife of Jacob GILMAN, born April 16, 1814, died February 12, 1852
Hannah W. GILMAN, born April 18, 1846, died November 23, 1923
Sacred to the Memory of Our Father, Jacob GILMAN, died October 9th, 1887,
aged 87 years
Joseph H. JACKSON, died July 25, 1857, aged 78 years, A kind husband and
Margaret JACKSON, died March 18, 1869, aged 90 years, Her children also
shall rise up and call her blessed
Margaret A. JONES, born December 22, 1841, died February 6, 1926
Joseph MONTGOMERY, born July 7, 1799, died May 11, 1890
In Memory of Gilley CONAWAY, who departed this life February 6, 1866, aged 61
years, Gone but not forgotten
Our Mother, Delilah, wife of John POWELL, born January 25, 1818, died January
4, 1897, Safe in the arms of Jesus
MONTGOMERY, Alexander 1826-1908, his wife Sarah GLENN 1848-1910, Fred (son)
Frederick Plummer, whose followers were sometimes called "Plummerites", was not named in this journal. His nephew Charles Plummer was very active in the building of the Church and signed several of the entries. The departure of Elder Charles H. Plummer in June 1853 was not recorded in the journal. Cross checking the names of the remaining graves located at Franklin Township this century with the "Record of Names" inside this journal shows two name matches: Harlan and Montgomery.
This journal provides a detailed history and business of building a new Church and the work involved in sustaining the Church at Mount Olivet. It also includes descriptions of the order of service and for doctrines laid out for the Congregation. The journal is a good primary source of information for the founding members of this long forgotten Christian Church in Chester County, Pennsylvania.