London: Edward Stanford, Geographer to His Majesty, 1866.
Map. Accordion folding map backed by linen. 32 sections with light color. Approx. 44" x 31" unfolded. "7.5" x 5.5" folded. Reddish marbled paper covers with label from the publisher on the outer front section. Written in hand on the label is "Bernese Oberland Central Chain." Under the title is another inscription difficult to decipher. Minor edge wear to the map. The earliest date found in the upper corner is 1859 J. Anselmier. Another printed name and date in the same corner - Jacky 1866. A small blind embossed round stamp in the bottom right corner appears to read - "Topographische Burandt Italienisches Gebiet digital topogr Karte entnommen." No information on this particular map published by Stanford has been found yet. Very good. Item #18894
Born in 1827, and educated at the City of London School, Edward Stanford developed his interest in maps after being employed by Mr Trelawney Saunders at his map and stationery shop. He became a partner to Saunders in 1852 at the age of 25. In 1853, the company was dissolved, and Stanford took over the remains of the business with the intent of turning it into a map specialist. With British colonial expansion pushing the demand for maps worldwide, and being the sole specialist of maps in London, the move was both obvious and lucrative.
The name Stanfords became prominent in 1862 when his project to make the most accurate map of London possible was published. Stanford's Library Map of London is still on sale today, over 150 years later.
Company ownership remained in the family until 1947, when it was absorbed into George Philip & Son. However, in 2001 Stanfords separated from George Philip & Son and the name Stanfords is displayed on both stores and on many lines of maps and books produced by the company.