Second photograph is a Cabinet Card portrait of an unnamed young African American man, presumably the Orderly for the 8th Massachusetts. Camp Gilman, Americus, Georgia: n.p., circa 1898.
Photograph. 8" x 10" mounted albumen photograph of 2 non commissioned staff; an African American Orderly; and a close up view of tent living quarters. Printed in the lower left corner is "N.C.S. 8th Massachusetts Vol Camp Gilman." Light occasional spotting to the photograph. Written on the verso of the photograph in pencil "Non-Commissioned Staff 8th Mass. Vol. Inf. Sergeant Major Julian M. Dodge & Orderly Quartermaster Sergt. Charles ? Perkins." Good +. Item #15892
A history of this unit was written by Harry E. Webber, titled: Twelve Months with the Eighth Massachusetts Infantry in the Service of the United States. It was printed in Salem Massachusetts by Newcomb and Gauss 1908.
From the Spanish American War Centennial Website:
The 8th Massachusetts Volunteers Infantry Company K, along with the remainder of the regiment, served stateside during the Spanish American War, but following the war, served in Cuba as part of the occupation force. Company K of the Eighth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry was founded around Company K of the Eighth Massachusetts National Guard. Also known as the "Danvers Light Infantry" from its place of origin, the unit was formed on March 25, 1891 after the disbanding of the "Mechanic Light Infantry." By the time of the Spanish American War, the unit was under the command of Capt. A. Preston Chase. In early May, 1898, the unit left for Camp Framingham, escorted from its armory by a delegation of local cavalry, police, G.A.R. member, cadets, citizens, and school children. The unit was mustered into the Federal service as the 8th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Co. K between May 11 and 14, 1898. The regiment, of which the company was a part, consisted of 47 officers and 896 enlisted men. The unit would grow to include 59 officers and 1,358 men.
Camp Gilman was located in Americus, Georgia:
From usgennet.org: The Americus Weekly Times-Recorder of November 25, 1898 reported that the camp had been named Camp Gilman in honor of Major Gilman, who was brevetted for his meritorious service in the presence of the enemy at Santiago on July 2, 1898. Gilman died of dysentery and malarial fever on July 26, 1898. Camp Gilman was first named Camp Forse but changed because another camp had been named Camp Forse (at Huntsville, AL). The second brigade of the second division of the First Corps was camped at Americus, Georgia during November-December, 1898. The camp was intended to be a three-regiment camp but no more than two regiments of state volunteers ever occupied it. The camp was located about 2 miles south from the center of Americus, in the vicinity of the country club located at 1800 South Lee Road. According to the Americus Weekly Times-Recorder of November 4, 1898, the “dwelling houses upon the site selected will be used principally as offices, “A detachment of the 8th Mass Vol. Inf. arrived around November 3 to prepare the site, identified as “Rylander’s farm.” The 12th N.Y. arrived in mid-November. The November 25 paper reported that officers’ mess halls, bathhouses, stables and other buildings had been constructed. The 12th N.Y. left in late December 1898 and the 8th Mass. left in early January, 1899.