A History of the White House Tract Richmond County, Georgia 1756-1975. Office of Planning Department of Natural Resources, Historic Preservation Section Research.

A History of the White House Tract Richmond County, Georgia 1756-1975

[Atlanta]: Georgia Department of Natural Resources, 1975.

First Edition. Hardcover. Tall quarto. [10], 136 pages. Some illustrations and architect floor plans. This history was recased in a blue buckram hardcover with gilt title on the spine. New marbled end papers. Previous owner book plate on the front paste down. Inscribed by the author on the preliminary page on Department of Natural Resources letterhead. This copy also includes related articles about the missing "White House Tract", a hand written note dated 1999, and typed letters dated 1977 copied illustrations "Augusta Ancestoring", an articles on the Mackay House from the Atlanta Journal magazine, and 6 postcards of the White House and Mackay House. Very good. Item #12295

From Waymarking.com:

The 500-acres parcel of land long known as the `White House Tract` witnessed many of Augusta`s most significant historical events. On this tract an Indian trading company known as Mackay`s Trading Post, or the White House, flourished. Around this establishment the bitter 1st Siege of Augusta raged for four days in September 1780. The unsuccessful Patriots under Col. Elijah Clarke had to leave some wounded behind. Some of these had broken their paroles and were executed by Col. Thomas Brown. The White House tract was divided into lots and became the town of Harrisburg which was eventually absorbed by Augusta. On the northern end of the tract near where the White House stood, the first Augusta Arsenal was built in 1819, and the Augusta Canal was built across it in 1843. This canal provided power for three textile mills and the Confederate Powder Works built on the White House Tract.

One of the most lasting of monuments built on the tract is the Harris-Pearson-Walker House, c. 1797, which was restored in the 1950`s.

Price: $200.00