Taxahaw, S.C. n.p., 1876-.
Leather bound. Autograph album approx. 8" x 5". Black leather binding with gilt stamped borders and decorative designs on the front cover. Gilt title "Autographs" stamped on the front cover. The majority of the album is filled with 114 pages of sentiments and inscriptions with some autographs dated from 1876-1881. Several blank pages. A couple of the pages contain illustrated inscriptions with folk art designs. One page has two small undated news clippings inside. One clipping announced - "At the Grand Lodge meeting of the Knights of Pythias held in Charlotte, Dr. S. J. Welsh, of Monroe Lodge No. 38, was elected as Grand Inner Guard..." The second clipped article concerns mixed crowd reactions to the play "Uncle Toms Cabin" at various places in the South. It notes: "The company was driven from the stage at Griffin Ga, and the performance was also stopped by a mob at Bradlaw, La..." Inside the album dozens of contributors dated their inscriptions and provided locations ranging from Mount Pleasant and N.C. College; several from New York City and University Medical College in New York; Peoria, Illinois; Rockdale, Texas; Leesville, S.C.; Edinboro, N.C.; many from Trinity College, N.C.; Taunton, Mass.; Waxahachie, Texas; Lincolnton, N.C.; White Plains, S.C.; Tuscaloosa, Ala; Kaufman Co., Texas; Edgefield, S.C.; Gibsonville, S.C.; Lancaster, S.C.; Gainesville, Ala; some inscriptions from Bellevue Hospital Med. College, New York; Tarboro, N.C.; Salisbury, N.C.; Fort Valley, Ga.; Washington, N.C.; Cateret Co., N.C.; and other places in North Carolina and the South. Stephen J. Welsh at some point transferred from North Carolina College to the University Medical College in New York where he graduated in 1881. He started practicing medicine in Monroe, North Carolina in the same year. He married Sarah McCarten in 1882. The second page has a lengthy inscribed intimate poem from Stephen Welsh's future wife Sarah McCarten in New York, 1881. Some of the inscriptions take up an entire page. Many of them are signed by Doctors. Light rubs to the leather binding. Binding is sturdy. Interior contents are clean. Good. Item #25367
From Myheritage dot com and Ancestry dot com:
Stephen Jackson Welsh was born April 5th 1854, at Lancaster, South Carolina, to John Rushing Welsh and Harriett Welsh (born Miller). John was born on November 22 1813, in Chesterfield County, SC. Harriett was born on May 1820. Stephen had 12 siblings: Mary Frances Funderburk (born Welsh), Christopher Columbus Welsh and 10 other siblings. Stephen married Sarah Morehead Welsh (born McCarten) in 1882, at age 27 in New York. Sarah was born on May 2 1859, in New York, NY. They had 11 children: Thomas Jefferson Welsh, Stephen Lee Welsh and 9 other children. Stephen passed away November 19th, 1909, at age 55 Monroe, Union County, North Carolina. He was buried on Suncrest Cemetery Monroe, North Carolina.
From the Encyclopedia of North Carolina edited by William S. Powell. North Carolina College by Wiley Williams 2006:
North Carolina College was opened in 1852 in Mount Pleasant as Western Carolina Male Academy. The schools was organized by the Lutheran Church as "a high school of collegiate character." It consisted of a three-story brick building and a President's home, with William Gerhardt of Pennsylvania as president and professor. In 1859 the synod decided to have the charter amended in order to change the academy to a degree-granting college, and the institution became known as North Carolina College.
The college's prospects for many years of service seemed bright until its work was interrupted by the Civil War and many of its students entered in the army, its professors resigned, and the school closed. In 1866 the college reopened with Louis A. Bikle as president. The first class was graduated in 1871. Many of the graduates entered the ministry, and some became leaders in church and state affairs. North Carolina College never recovered from its troubles during the Civil War and the loss of its endowment. In 1901 the synod, in a decision agreed to by the college's board of trustees, decided to suspend operations at the end of the 1901-2 academic year. From 1902 to 1933 Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute, a secondary school, operated on the grounds that once housed North Carolina College.